Two consecutive deadly shootings prompt emergency curfew & alcohol consumption ban for Miami Spring Breakers
Those visiting and looking for things to do in Miami Beach for Spring Break may not be too happy about an emergency curfew order issued on the heel of deadly shootings occurring late at night in the area — and the imposition could be extended beyond its initial 48 hour window.
In an announcement made to the City of Miami Beach TV's Youtube channel on March 19, Mayor Dan Gelber delivers the emergency order for South Beach, citing deadly shootings on Ocean Drive and 7th Street as the driving forces for its issuance, among a few other key-issues.
The 7th Street shooting occurred just before 11 pm Friday night, with Ocean Drive's happening on Saturday at around 3 am.
"As is the case with most serious crime in our city, both shootings were between visitors to Miami Beach and did not involve residents." Gelber decreed. "In both cases, police were literally seconds away from the incidents and arrests were made within minutes...it is clear that even an unprecedented police presence could not prevent these incidents from occurring."
The Mayor continued, stating that their daytime patrols have helped to significantly control crowds, as well as daytime incidents and arrests, with them seeing a decrease from last year. Gelber believes that the current volume of people in the city, unruly nature of many, and the presence of guns have created a peril that cannot go unchecked.
"Over the last three weeks alone, we have impounded over 70 firearms," Gelber recounted before moving forward with announcing a midnight curfew for Sunday March 19th through 11:59 pm on Monday, March 20.
A special commission will be meeting Monday, March 20, at 4 pm to discuss extending the curfew — as the manager's emergency powers can only extend for up to 72 hours. However, Mayor Gelber says he does intend to impose a similar curfew and set of rules stretching from Thursday, March 23 through Monday, March 27 as well.
The curfew area will sprawl from 23rd Street and Dade Boulevard on the North to government cut, or First Street, on the South, and from Ocean to The Bay on the East and the West.
Gelber asks that those in the impacted area not be out after midnight while the curfew is in place, requiring businesses in the curfew area to close sufficiently in advance of midnight to permit patrons the ability to avoid violating the emergency order. However, those going to and from work are exempt from the curfew.
The map of the applicable curfew area can be seen below:
According to a press release from the city, in addition to the midnight curfew, the sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption will be prohibited in the curfew area after 6 pm. Take out and pick-up services at hotels are also not allowed during the emergency order window.
"Now as I have said many times, we don't ask for spring break in our city," The Mayor stressed, "We don't want Spring Break in our city. It's too rowdy, it brought too much disorder, and it's simply too difficult to police." He continues to thank manager, Alina T. Hudak, city staff, and the many police agencies assisting the city during their most challenging moments.
The full list of applicable emergency curfew rules as listed in the press release are as follows. The full video announcement made my Mayor Gelber can also be seen below:
Anyone who violates any of the emergency measures will be subject to city laws and Florida statues, potentially facing arrest and criminal prosecution by the city, the release states.
For updates on the curfew following the special commission's meeting, check the City of Miami Beach's website here. You can read the full order in its entirety here.
Article by Rachael Volpe
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.